History of Sacred Heart
A monument on the south wall of the church to its foundress, Edith Arendrup, justly proclaims: “It was through her Christian vision that this parish of the Sacred Heart came into being; it was through her generosity the church was built.” Edith Arendrup was a member of the wealthy Courtauld family.
She came to live in Wimbledon in 1877 at a time when there were few Catholics in the area and persuaded the Jesuits at Roehampton to start a Mass-centre at her house in Cottenham Park. Only seven years later she decided to have a large church built in a prominent position on the slopes of Edge Hill. She commissioned a young architect, Frederick Walters, to design it in the late Decorated Gothic style.
To find out more about the history of Sacred Heart please click the PDF below:
For a detailed architectural description please visit http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Dioceses/Archdiocese-of-Southwark/Wimbledon-The-Sacred-Heart